TT Epaper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Bankers in jail for woman suicide

- Note by deceased cites ‘persistent torture’ by three colleagues

Three senior bank officers were remanded in judicial custody for 14 days on Sunday in connection with the suicide of an assistant manager working under them on Friday.

Police said assistant bank manager Sneha Singh’s body was found hanging from a ceiling fan in her rented house on near Shyam cinema road on Saturday morning.

After recovery of a suicide note, purportedly written by Sneha, blamed Devendra Pal Singh, the manager of a commercial bank’s Gopalganj branch, and Shiv Kumar Nayak and Ratnesh Kumar Singh, both operations managers, for forcing her to take the drastic step, seven bank employees were detained and interrogated.

Thereafter, the accused trio were arrested and were produced in the chief judicial magistrate’s court on Sunday.

Assistant superintendent of police (ASP) Anil Kumar told that Sneha had committed suicide on Friday night and had left behind the note, alleging that the trio’s constant torture forced her to commit suicide.

Sources said the branch manager and the two operation managers detained Sneha in office till 8.30pm for the past several months. They were pressuring her to shoulder the responsibilities of an operations manager and burdening her with work.

Sneha had taken up the rented accommodation under Town police station for the past one year.

Her father, Amarendra Prasad Singh, is a sub-inspector of police presently posted at Fatehpur police station in Gaya district.

The permanent residence of the Singh family is on Road Number 12, Rajendra Nagar, Patna. Sneha was supposed to get married on February 4, 2014.

Under the headers, “Killed me” and “Tortured me”, Sneha’s 10-line suicide note mentioned the first names of the three officers.

She wrote that the three accused tortured her persistently. She had even sent an email to assistant general manager (AGM) of the bank, Rizwan Khan, apprising him of all developments and had sought transfer from Gopalganj. Towards the end of the letter, she has written the full names of the trio.

ASP Anil Kumar said Sneha’s uncle, Dev Bahadur Singh, lodged an FIR on Sunday, accusing the trio of pressuring her to pass false bills for generator fuel, which she refused to do.

Sneha had called up her mother, Niru Singh, on November 22 and had apprised her of the pressure conditions she was going through. Niru tried calling up Sneha but received no response. Sensing trouble, she came over to Gopalganj on Saturday morning and found Sneha dead.

The ASP said investigations were on in the case from every possible angle.