TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
CIMA Gallary

LPG tragedy kills six of family

Hazaribagh, Nov. 23: The cardinal mistake of lighting a matchstick to ascertain the point of gas leak in kitchen spelt doom for a Hazaribagh family, which saw six members, who had sustained burns in the cylinder explosion that followed on November 12, dying in the past 10 days.

The last death took place yesterday evening. Four more are undergoing treatment at Jamshedpur’s MGM Medical College and Hospital.

According to the mukhiya of Sirma, a village in Hazaribagh’s Barkagaon from where all the victims hailed, the family had organised a get-together to celebrate Muharram and also houseowner Noor Mohammad’s return from Mumbai, where he had a business of readymade garments, on November 12. “Ten people were in the house. On getting a strange smell from the kitchen, Noor sent one of his brothers-in-law, Mohammad Arshad, to check what was wrong. Arshad came back and said gas was leaking, prompting all to rush to the kitchen,” said mukhiya Mohammad Ataullah.

Noor’s another brother-in-law Mohammad Akhtar lit a matchstick to find out the leak point, triggering a fire. Before the 10 could get out, the LPG cylinder exploded, injuring all, including two children.

The injured were rushed to RIMS, but were referred to MGM hospital. The first deaths occurred on November 13 when Noor (40) and his sister-in-law Shabnam Perween (35) succumbed. On November 18, Noor’s mother-in-law Jaidul Nisha (53) and Shabnam’s daughter Simran (8) passed away, while Noor’s wife Taranum’s uncle Mohammad Muslim (61) died on November 20. Last evening, Arshad died.