Bhubaneswar, Oct. 28: The Odisha government today sought an additional central assistance of Rs 1,509.09 crore for losses caused by the second spell of floods that struck the state’s coastal belt between October 21 and 26.
This was over and above the central aid of Rs 4,242.41 crore, which was sought earlier to meet losses caused by cyclone Phailin and subsequent floods that hit the coastal belt of Odisha during October 12-15. With this, the total amount of aid sought by the state government stands at Rs 5,832.5 crore.
A supplementary memorandum on the floods in Odisha (October 21-26) was handed over by the state government to the inter-ministerial central team which arrived here today on a four-day visit for assessment of damages in the wake of Phailin and subsequent floods.
The 11-member team, headed by joint secretary (HR) of the Union home ministry, Rashmi Goel, and comprising officers from eight ministries, was split into two groups.
While the first group, which included Goel, flew to Balasore, the second group proceeded to Ganjam.
“We witnessed extensive damage caused by Phailin and subsequent floods,” said Sanjay Lohiya, who led the team that visited Ganjam. “The Centre will provide assistance according to norms,” he said.
“The low pressure has weakened and the weather is likely to become dry over the state,” said director of regional meteorological centre in Bhubaneswar S.C. Sahu.
According to the memorandum, 13 districts, including Ganjam and Balasore, were affected by the recent floods that hit 61.3 lakh people in 10,722 villages and damaged 4.07 lakh houses. The other affected districts were Gajapati, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Jajpur, Cuttack, Bhadrak, Mayurbhanj, Khurda, Nayagarh, Puri and Kandhamal.
The estimated value of damage to public property across the state stands at Rs 5,312 crore now.
Chief minister Naveen Patnaik reviewed the relief and restoration measures this evening. The relief operations is expected to be completed by October 31.
Schools reopened everywhere today, except in Ganjam and a few worst-hit pockets. Officials concerned have also been ordered to start the midday meal programme in schools that have opened today. Energy secretary P.K. Jena said power would be restored in all the affected areas by November 9. Till date, 95 per cent areas of Berhampur city, which was badly-hit by the cyclone, had been provided with power.