Calcutta: India’s tour of South Africa later this year has been confirmed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), which on Tuesday announced a series of two Tests and three ODIs. The dates and venues for the matches, however, are yet to be announced.
The tour’s confirmation came after an assurance from Cricket South Africa that it would withdraw its CEO, Haroon Lorgat, from dealing with matters related to India and the International Cricket Council (ICC) pending an inquiry by the world body into allegations against him.
The Telegraph had reported on October 16 that Lorgat would be kept out of the dealings with India.
The allegations relate to Lorgat’s role in the statement issued by David Becker, a former legal advisor to CSA, that the BCCI’s flouting of the Future Tours Programme (FTP) could have legal implications. In his statement, released to the media last week, Becker had said it was “improper” to allow a member body to “blatantly disregard an ICC resolution”.
In a joint media statement, the two boards said the ICC “is now considering its legal options” in respect to Becker’s comments. “Following meetings in London over the past couple of days, CSA and the BCCI have announced that the South Africa cricket team will play against India in an upcoming home series comprising two Test matches and three one-day International matches, the specific dates and details of which will be announced in due course,” the media release said.
“In addition, both parties have also agreed to continue with good faith discussions between their respective presidents about the possibility of agreeing further bilateral arrangements in respect of the scheduled fixtures between the two teams, and taking into account any scheduling imbalances from previous years.
“The agreement to tour was concluded by the two boards after various concerns were raised around the recent ICC Board meeting in London about the alleged conduct of CSA’s chief executive, Mr Haroon Lorgat, and recent comments made about the ICC board by a former legal advisor to CSA, Mr David Becker.
“The ICC and CSA have already refuted the comments made by Mr Becker, and the ICC is now considering its legal options in respect of the same. In addition, the ICC will convene an investigation by an independent third party into the content and distribution of the media comments, subsequent attempts to have them withdrawn, and, in particular, the role of Mr Lorgat in relation to these matters.”