New Delhi, Oct. 18: The CBI is likely to register more cases over the coal block allocations before filing a probe status report in the Supreme Court next week, an agency officer said.
“We will file the status report next week explaining the progress of the probe so far. We will also explain the case involving Kumar Mangalam Birla and former coal secretary P.C Parakh,” said a senior CBI officer, adding the other complaints would be registered soon.
The agency, which is investigating the controversial allotments as part of an apex court-monitored probe, has registered 14 FIRs so far.
CBI sources said they were examining “incriminating” documents recovered from office of Hindalco, a Birla firm, during a search three days ago. “It is only after scrutiny of the documents we will examine both Kumar Mangalam Birla and Parakh,” another officer said.
Parakh, the officer said, was quizzed during the course of a preliminary inquiry earlier this year.
“We named him in the FIR as he failed to explain the reasons for over turning his own decision in respect of allocation of Odisha-based Talabira II coal block.”
During the examination earlier this year, Parakh was asked about the reasons for reversing an initial decision to reject Hindalco’s application for the block, the officer said.
“He could not explain under what circumstances he changed his view and allowed Hindalco to get a share in the block which was already allocated to two PSUs,” the officer said.
Parakh has, however, justified his decision, denied any wrongdoing and accused the CBI of being selective in naming him in the FIR.
The CBI had started investigations in June last year following allegations of irregularities in the allocation of blocks to private firms between 2005 and 2009. Allocations between 1993 and 2004 are also under the scanner as part of a preliminary investigation but no FIR has been registered yet for this period.