Guwahati, Oct. 9: A rusty and poorly maintained electric pole toppled on the road in front of Guwahati Dairy at Kamarpatty today.
A police source said a major accident was averted as fortunately nobody was passing by the pole when the incident happened despite the area teeming with Puja shoppers around 11.30am.
“It could have endangered the lives of pedestrians and motorists alike if it had fallen on them,” a source said.
The incident created panic in the area as an electric wire of 440 volts was connected to the pole.
Onlookers immediately informed a nearby sub-office of Assam Power Distribution Company Limited and the power connection to the pole was disconnected to avoid anybody being electrocuted.
“The pole toppled as its base was damaged from rust,” the source said.
It took around one-and-a-half hours for powermen to repair the damage and restore electricity supply to the locality.
The alleged laxity of the APDCL in removing or repairing the damaged electric pole is believed to have led to the incident.