London: Former England bowler and 2005 Ashes hero Steve Harmison hangs up his boots after failing to make a single first-class appearance for Durham this season. In an interview with the north-east’s Sunday Sun, the 34-year-old, who took 226 Test wickets for his country, said he had “known for a while” that he would be calling it a day at the end of the 2013 season.
Harmison failed to make a single first-class appearance for Durham during their title-winning year and added that he had left his announcement until now to not to take the shine of his county’s achievement.
Harmison’s retirement follows on from that of Matthew Hoggard last month, meaning all four of England’s feared pace attack from the 2005 Ashes have now called time on their careers in one way or another.
Simon Jones is to remain as a Twenty20 specialist, while Andrew Flintoff retired in 2010.
It was in an England shirt and specifically, while bowling with the likes of Flintoff and Hoggard that Harmison made his name.
His brilliant seven for 12 in the West Indies back in 2004 marked him out as one of the most feared fast bowlers on the planet, and he carried his form through to England’s memorable win over Australia a year later.
“Today, I am announcing my retirement from professional cricket,” Harmison said.
“I was hoping to go out on a high in my benefit year, but my body has not allowed me to, and I have not made a single first-team appearance.
“With my contract up at the end of the season, I have known for a while I would be calling it a day.
“But I did not want to take the shine off such a magnificent campaign for Durham by announcing it before the end.