|GB Hospital in Agartala
Agartala, Sept. 30: The Tripura government has issued showcause notices to three surgeons, three nurses and an operation theatre assistant for dereliction of duty. They performed an unnecessary operation on a patient’s lower abdomen instead of a biopsy of his mouth as prescribed by a senior surgeon of GB Hospital here.
Unless replies to the showcause notices are satisfactory, the government will take exemplary action. This was stated by minister for health Tapan Chakraborty, who replied to a call attention motion in the Assembly on the wrong surgery performed on Ratan Das, 53, a resident of Ampinagar area under Amarpur subdivision of Gomati district.
According to Chakraborty’s statement, Das was admitted to the male surgical ward of GB Hospital on September 8 for biopsy of the mouth after senior surgeon Pradip Sarkar prescribed this. On September 13, Das was operated on the lower abdomen for a non-existing problem in his urinary tract. When this came to light, the hospital’s staff sent Das home, practically by force, on September 16 and sought to tweak the details on paper and in their records.
After the news about the incident was leaked, Chakraborty ordered an investigation by a three-member committee headed by physician Satyaranjan Debbarma.
“Apparently the mishap happened because of misplacement of records of patients in the hospital ward and surgical section because another patient by the name of Ratan Das had been admitted to the male surgical ward within three days of admission of the one from Ampinagar. The investigation committee, headed by the health director, examined 13 respondents, including doctors, nurses, OT assistant and the affected patient (Ratan Das) at his Ampinagar home,” Chakraborty said.
He told the Assembly that the GB Hospital authorities had arranged to readmit affected Das for biopsy of the mouth and he was discharged in good condition on September 27.
“I received the inquiry report on September 25. Showcause notices have been issued to surgeons Niladri Sen, Nilotpal Chakma and Saumen Debabrma, nurses Namita Das, Kanchan Deb and Sumita Debbarma and OT assistant Suparna Koloi. They have been asked to furnish replies within a week. In case they fail to furnish satisfactory replies, drastic action will be taken to prevent recurrence of such incidents,” the minister told the House.
He said Das’s family had not asked for any compensation but if they put up such a claim, the state government would consider this.
Apart from this, altogether 22 cases have been filed with various police stations against doctors and nurses for wrong treatment over the past three years. Besides, 14 other complaints have been registered at police stations by doctors against assaults on them by patients and their relatives while on duty.