Tezpur, Sept. 30: The Songbijit faction of the NDFB today claimed not to have served any extortion demand for the release of NHPC official Anil Kumar Agarwal and added that he was safe in its custody.
Speaking to The Telegraph, the outfit’s general secretary B. Saoraigwra categorically denied having sent any email or letter to the NHPC, demanding Rs 20 crore for Agarwal’s release.
He also said that all arrangements had been made for the safety, security and good health of Agarwal. Saoraigwra said the outfit had abducted Agarwal over an issue related to the construction of big dams which would adversely affect the people and the ecology.
The official was abducted by the militant group from Charduar in Sonitpur district of Assam, bordering Arunachal Pradesh, on September 21 while he was going from Tawang to Guwahati. Agarwal is the general manager of the under-construction 600MW Tawang Chu I hydroelectric power project.
“The outfit is in touch with Agarwal’s family members,” Saoraigwra said while evading a directly reply on when Agarwal would be released.
Security personnel have not been able to rescue Agarwal despite a massive search operation for the past 10 days.
A.P. Rout, additional director-general of police (law and order ) said the police of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh were carrying out operations to rescue him.