Devnath Singh in front of his house at Sonari on Tuesday. Picture by Animesh Sengupta
Three members of a family had a lucky escape when leaking cooking gas triggered a fire at their Sonari home on Tuesday morning.
The LPG mishap took place at the residence of one Devnath Singh (27) in CP Club area around 9 am.
Decorator Devnath said flames leapt out of their kitchen after his mother, Aman Bai (45), turned on the regulator knob and ignited the burner. “I rushed and dragged her out of the house,” he said, adding that his 53-year-old father did the same. “Within minutes, the whole house was burning.”
Devnath said they informed Sonari police, who called up the fire station.
“A fire tender came after half an hour. By then, neighbours had prevented the blaze from spreading. The fire gutted household articles, including furniture,” he said.
Sub-inspector of Sonari police station Vijay Kumar said they had informed the local fire station immediately after receiving a call from Devnath.
The Singh family, which is an IOCL consumer, suspects that a defect in the regulator led to the gas leak.
Area manager of IOCL’s LPG division, Ranchi, Uday Kumar said they were aware of the incident.
“If there was a leak because of a defective regulator knob, then the kitchen would have smelt of LPG. The user should not have ignited the burner in such a situation,” he said.
The area manager, however, added that an expert team had been asked to visit the spot and submit a report to the company at the earliest.
Jamshedpur MP Ajoy Kumar visited the family in the evening.