Adityapur industrial area where Jawahar Sahu was electrocuted on Friday.
Picture by Animesh Sengupta
A 28-year-old truck helper was electrocuted in Phase VI of Adityapur industrial area on Friday when he came in contact with a high-tension overhead wire.
The accident took place around 1pm when Jawahar Sahu, the helper, went to Pammy weighbridge near NIT to weigh the vehicle loaded with iron angles.
As the truck stopped on the weighbridge, the driver asked him to bring out an iron rod used to the remove stone chips stuck in tyres.
Jawahar climbed the roof of the truck’s cabin to take out the rod, not realising an 11,000 volt wire was overhead.
As he stood up, the rod in his hand accidentally came in touch with the wire.
Iron being an excellent conductor of electricity, Jawahar received a severe jolt and fell on the ground.
A resident of Darbhanga district of Bihar, Jawahar is survived by his wife, two daughters and a son.
The driver fled the scene, and workers at the weighbridge took him to Adityapur-based Gangotri Nursing Home.
According to the victim’s younger brother Raman, doctors at the nursing home refused to admit him. Jawahar was then taken to Tata Main Hospital where doctors on emergency duty declared him brought dead.
Officer-in-charge of RIT police station Rajesh Prakash Sinha said no complaint had been lodged in the case so far, and the body had been sent for post-mortem to MGM Medical College and Hospital.
“It appears to be an accident. We will launch a search for the driver only if the victim’s family members file any complaint,” said Sinha.