Calcutta: The Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) may do away with under-14 and under-17 tournaments from the next season if the age-fudging continues.
“We will have no other option but to stop these tournaments if the age-old menace continues to haunt us,” CAB joint secretary Subir Ganguly said on Friday.
Ever since forty-nine players, who had participated in last year’s under-14 Ambar Roy tournament, were found over-aged, the CAB has been busy trying to weed out the menace.
“This is a major headache… But doing away with age-group tournaments will mean the clubs’ revenue generation will take a hit. After all, they earn a lot of revenue from the coaching centres.
“So we are mulling to have prize money from the quarter finals of the senior-level tournaments. The clubs spend quite a fortune in running their cricket teams.
“So a financial incentive will be beneficial. The working committee will take a call on this issue very soon,” Ganguly said.
Though the CAB had summoned all the guilty players, some of them are yet to respond. But Ganguly informed that those players will be given another chance to present their case before the association on September 20.