Guwahati, Sept. 12: The official quarters of Congress legislator from Roha, Pijush Hazarika, inside the Assam MLA hostel premises was gutted in a fire that broke out around 3.15 this afternoon.
All furniture and household goods in the Assam-type house were destroyed, sources said.
State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) personnel said the fire started after an air-conditioner exploded following electrical overload and engulfed the wooden house in minutes. They said they received a call around 3.20pm and when they reached the spot, the fire had already damaged the household goods.
Hazarika’s wife Aimee Baruah, an Assamese film actress, was inside the house when the fire broke out.
SDRF personnel blamed improper maintenance of the electrical wiring of the hostel for the disaster. “There was no fire extinguisher in the house. Had there been an extinguisher, they could have controlled the fire immediately,” an SDRF officer said.
Chief minister Tarun Gogoi visited the house this evening and met Hazarika’s family members.