Calcutta: As if the senior team’s lacklustre performance over the last couple of seasons was not headache enough for the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB), it is now saddled with a fresh problem at the junior level.
The problem itself is not new or unknown, it’s just that for the first time its monstrous volume has come to light.
The CAB, on Monday, revealed that as many as 49 cricketers, who participated in the Ambar Roy Sub-Junior (under-14) Tournament last year, have been found over-aged.
“We had a few complaints last season itself, but couldn’t act thenů But we have now decided to try and weed out the problem. So we randomly selected some birth certificates of the under-14 players submitted with us and sent them to the Calcutta Municipal Corporation for verification. They have got back saying that 49 of them have been found to be fake,” CAB joint-secretary Subir Ganguly said on Monday.
Ganguly informed that the CAB is trying to get in touch with the guilty players, the guardians and the coaching centres. But he admitted that there are limitations as some of the coaching centres are not providing required informations .
Asked if the CAB are mulling any punishments, Ganguly said: “That will be decided by the cricket committee.”
However, in an effort to host a clean tournament this season, the association has decided to take a stern step. According to Ganguly, the CAB will organise a seminar soon where all the affiliated coaching centres will be invited.
It would be made clear that if any player is found to fudge age, the player and the coaching centre will be barred from CAB tournaments for at least seven years. Ganguly also called on the guardians to be more responsible.