Muzaffarnagar/Lucknow, Sep 9 (PTI): Curfew remained in force in the riot hit areas of Muzaffarnagar on Monday, with the death toll rising to 28 and the police making 200 arrests. Cases were also filed against a thousand persons including for Bharatiya Janata Party state legislators and a former Congress member of Parliament.
Under fire over the violence, the Uttar Pradesh government transferred Saharanpur DIG DD Mishra and SHO, Phugana, Omveer. Violence-hit Muzaffarnagar falls in Saharanpur range.
”The death toll in the violence has reached 28 so far. SHO, Phugana, Omveer has been removed from the post as most of the violence was witnessed in the area...We are also cancelling arms licenses in Phugana, Shahpur, Dhaurakalan as they were misused during the violence”, ADG, Law and Order, Arun Kumar told reporters in Muzaffarnagar.
He said FIRs have been registered against BJP legislative party leader Hukum Singh, MLAs Suresh Rana, Bhartendu, Sangeet Som and former Congress MP Harendra Malik for violating prohibitory orders.
Cases have been registered against a total of 1000 persons including some people who are yet to be identified, he said.
Meanwhile, UP Governor BL Joshi has sent his report on the Muzaffarnagar violence to the Centre, official sources said in Lucknow.The report was sent on Sunday.
In the report, the Governor has cited the sequence of events beginning August 27, when three persons were killed in Kawal town of Muzaffarnagar over an incident of eveteasing.
Sources said the Governor has also stated other details regarding the administrative lapses as well as the situation prevailing in the town.
Kumar said no violence was reported in the district after midnight last night.
Secretary Home, Kamal Saxena said that 45 injured persons are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarnagar.
He said the situation in Muzaffarnagar was under control, adequate force has been despatched and senior officers were camping there.
Army had on Sunday staged a flag march in the troubled district and surrounding areas.
Over 200 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence, Saxena said.
”As it (violence) is going on in several villages, it is taking time to defuse the situation,” Kumar said.
Curfew remained in force in Civil Lines, Kotwali and Nai Mandi town areas of the district.
Officials said apart from army, 10,000 Provincial Armed Constabulary personnel, 1300 CRPF men and 1200 Rapid Action Force personnel have been deployed.
The Centre has on Sunday sought a report from the Uttar Pradesh government on the violence in Muzaffarnagar and directed it to take strong action to curb riots.
Union Home Ministry officials are in regular touch with the Uttar Pradesh government and have assured it of all possible help to control violence in the western UP district.
Officials sources said in Delhi the Centre has asked the state government to take necessary steps to ensure that communal tension does not spread to other parts of the state.
If necessary, steps like preventive arrest and house arrest of those who may create trouble to disturb peace should be taken, the sources said.
Tension has been running high since three persons were killed in Kawal village on August 27 over an eveteasing incident.
The violence had occurred as a meeting was being held in Naglabadhod in defiance of prohibitory orders to demand withdrawal of cases registered in connection with August 27 violence in Kawal.
Hukum Singh said he had nothing to do with the violence.
”I have not done it throughout my life but since the government has failed on all fronts and the district administration failed, they are searching for a scapegoat. They have easily found the scapegoat in the BJP,” he said.
”I don't indulge in all these tensions. I love all the people of my country,” he said.