WHY THE SHRIEKS OF DELIGHT?
Elementary, dear non-Directioner (since every true Directioner in Calcutta already knows, thanks to t2 Facebook and Twitter!) — One Direction: This Is Us is releasing in Calcutta, after all.
The power of the Directioners and the platform provided by t2 have prompted Sony Pictures to release the film on Thursday, September 12, at Fame (South City).
Owing to “aggressive demand” from 1D fans and “a sustained campaign” by The Telegraph, Sony Pictures said on Friday that it would release This Is Us. “There has been a huge demand for the film from fans in Calcutta, owing to which we have decided to release the film in the city next week,” was the word from the producer-distributor of the film.
Those set to screen the 1D film in 3D were equally gung-ho. An official at Fame (South City) said: “There has been tremendous response for the Saturday special show of This Is Us. We are geared to screen the film every day from September 12.”
What that means is that those not lucky enough to catch the special screening (presented by t2 and TTIS) at Fame South City at 5pm on Saturday, can easily book a date with their favourite boy band next weekend at the same venue.
WHY THE DELAYED RELEASE?
The Morgan Spurlock-directed concert film on the Fab Five from the land of the Fab Four — Beatles, who Beatles?, most Directioners would ask! — did not release in Calcutta on September 6 because of a limited number of prints made available to India.
The film had been released across 25-odd screens in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Pune. Calcutta was not considered a viable destination for Sony Pictures to book screens.
Until the Directioners started pouring their heart out on the t2 Feedback and Facebook pages.
FIRST, THE HOPE…
• “If I win the tickets I will be t2’s slave for the rest of my life... And I’m serious. Dead serious. Hope is all I’ve got”.
• “Am going crazy over the idea of not being able to watch the movie. Please, please, please do something! Begging you!”
Get the drift?
With such mails flooding our inbox from die-hard Directioners, t2-Sony Pictures-Fame (South City) managed to organise a special screening of the film on Saturday evening. For just 200 Directioners, but then something was better than nothing.
… THEN, THE HURRAH!
The Sony Pictures announcement on Friday that they would release This Is Us in Calcutta next Thursday.
When t2 put that up on Facebook, the reaction was a riot. Sample:
• “Oh my god........ I love u t2 and my Directioner girls and boys too! Finally.........”
• “Oh my lord Jesus bless you guys. Our hard work paid off. Thank you so much.”
ER, WHAT’S 1D?
Well, given that you’ve been living on Mars, here goes.
• One Direction is a boy band featuring Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson.
• They came together in 2010, thanks to The X Factor judge Simon Cowell. They entered The X Factor as individual singers, united as One Direction and came third in the popular talent show.
• Shot to fame with debut album Up All Night, as the first British band to debut at number one on the US. Billboard 200 with their debut album
• 1D has sold over 30 million records.
• The boys are reportedly worth £25 million.
• Their fan base comprises almost every teenaged girl around.
AND WHAT’S THIS IS US?
It’s a 92-minute concert film on 1D. “The film has everything that has ever happened to us till now. It is all about us and our lives. This Is Us replicates how this band has changed each one of us. Of course, it shows the fan frenzy and their utmost belief in us,” One Direction told t2 last month