Patna, Aug. 29: Yasin Bhatkal has admitted to his involvement in the serial blasts that rocked the Mahabodhi Mahavihara complex and its vicinity in Bodhgaya last month, sources in the National Investigation Team have told The Telegraph.
The sources said that during interrogation at Bettiah today, the Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder confessed that he and his outfit had planned the blasts on July 7 in which two Buddhist monks were wounded.
“I did the recce of the blast site. The incident was meticulously planned and subsequently carried out,” a senior police officer quoted Bhatkal as saying.
The officer, who did not wish to be named as he was not authorised to speak on the issue, said the IM had always intended to plant low intensity explosives and never believed in causing maximum harm to human lives.
“Our motive behind such blasts is to send out a message to the authorities concerned,” the officer quoted Bhatkal as telling his interrogators.