Calcutta, Aug. 24: Some 80,000 homes in Calcutta had their cable connections deactivated today after the telecom regulator’s time limit to submit filled-up subscriber application forms expired on Friday midnight.
Some subscribers filled up the forms soon after their connections were snapped and submitted them to cable operators, within minutes of which their set-top boxes were reactivated. But connections were not restored if the subscribers did not submit the forms.
“We have received intimation from MSOs in Calcutta that they deactivated about 80,000 connections during the day,” a senior official of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) said from Delhi. “This has been the standard practice in other metros where the process of filling up forms has been completed.”
Trai sources said that while Delhi completed the process in July, Mumbai and Chennai finished it earlier this month.
There are about 30 lakh connections in Calcutta and, according to Trai, only 50 per cent of the homes have submitted the forms. Of the remaining 15 lakh connections, 80,000 were snapped today.
More connections are likely to be snapped from tomorrow.
“We have been trying for long to speed up the process of filling up the forms but often, both cable operators and consumers have not taken it seriously. We had no option but to switch off connections today,” said a director of one of the largest multi-system operators in Calcutta.
“Many consumers came to cable operators minutes after the connections were snapped and submitted the filled-up forms. The operators informed us over phone and we immediately restored the connections of those subscribers,” the director added.