Melbourne: Sacked coach Mickey Arthur has revealed that Australia had plans of inflicting damage on England and push them really hard in the away series before striving to regain the Ashes in the return bout Down Under, which begins from November 21 in Brisbane.
Arthur is also of the opinion the scoreline in the ongoing Ashes series wouldn’t have changed because of lack of options at the Australian reserve bench. “You could have put anybody in the team, but the results were going to be the same because that is what we’ve got at the moment.
“That is the current crop of players. But as a coach, it’s such a good challenge because there’s so much unfulfilled potential that you can make better,” he told an Australian radio station.
Arthur confirmed that he and captain Michael Clarke had been talking in terms of using the away series more as a preparation for the battle at home.
“We had a goal that I will reveal. We wanted to try and push England really hard at their backyard. But we wanted to win in Australia.
“This is what Michael and I wanted to do. We didn’t go into the series ever to lose it, but we wanted to develop enough intelligence on all the England players. We had a lot, but there was going to be some current stuff we could use.
“We were going to really push them close, give the players in our team the confidence to see that England could get beaten, and then go hard at them in Australia. That was how we wanted to go about our escapade there,” the former Australia coach said.
Looking back at his tenure as coach, Arthur admitted that the 0-4 defeat in Tests against India and the disciplinary problems the team faced during that series had been a major blow.
According to Arthur, it was the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) desire to avenge the humiliating defeat at the hands of Clarke and his men in 2011-12 that pitches were prepared to suit the purpose of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Co. (AGENCIES)