Karachi: Disgraced Pakistan pacer Mohammed Asif took a step further towards his rehabilitation when he submitted a written apology to the PCB and also agreed to co-operate with authorities on the spot-fixing issue.
The 30-year old fast bowler, who is serving a seven-year ban (two of them suspended) for spot-fixing, met with the PCB officials and its anti-corruption unit, in Lahore, on Monday.
A PCB official confirmed that Asif has given a written apology and consented to co-operate with all inquiries. “He also said that he is ready to undergo all education and rehabilitation programs set for him by the PCB and the ICC in order to show his intent to reform,” the official said.
Asif had last week confessed for the first time about his involvement in spot-fixing during the infamous fourth Test against England, at Lord’s, in 2010.
Asif, former skipper Salman Butt and Mohammed Aamer were all banned by the ICC in early 2011 after being found guilty of spot-fixing on the 2010 tour to England.
The trio later also served different jail sentences in the United Kingdom after being found guilty of cheating and corruption by a crown court. All three have now confessed to spot-fixing and apologised to the countrymen for bringing Pakistan cricket into disrepute.
Asif told reporters he was very happy after the meeting. “It is a weight off my shoulders for now because I want to show everybody that I am ready to rehabilitate and undergo a change,” he said.
“I have told the PCB I am ready to co-operate with them in every way and also ready to attend any education or rehabilitation program they or the ICC outline for me.”