Ranchi, Aug. 19: A former state drug controller, who had been evading arrest in the Rs 133-crore medicine scam for over two years, surrendered before a CBI judge today, but was denied bail.
Hearing case number RC 11/2009, CBI special judge R.K. Choudhary rejected Madan Mohan Prasadís bail application and forwarded him to judicial custody at Birsa Munda Central Jail for three days.
Prasadís lawyer, Deepak Kumar, said his client turned up before the CBI court on the basis of a Supreme Court directive in March.
ďAfter a warrant was issued against my client he resorted to judicial remedies to protect himself. Finally when Supreme Court directed him to surrender before the trial court in March, he surrendered before the court, which forwarded him to judicial custody,Ē Kumar said.
On why Prasad took over four months to surrender even after the apex courtís order, Kumar cited personal reasons. Prasadís father, he said, passed away while his mother was ill.
According to the CBIís chargesheet submitted in September 2011, Prasad allegedly accepted Rs 41lakh as commission to finalise a tender for buying medicines, causing financial losses to the state exchequer in 2008-2009.
There are as many as 13 accused in the case, including former health minister Bhanu Pratap Shahi, health secretaries Pradeep Kumar and Siyaram Prasad Sinha, suppliers Pradyut Mukherjee and Ranjeet Fogla, besides Prasad.
Kumar dismissed the allegations against Prasad, saying his decision was based on technical aspects and not on price. Furthermore, no one had raised any question on the quality of the medicines bought.
Prasad, however, refused to comment. ďI am in judicial custody and the matter is sub judice. In this situation, I am not in a position to comment,Ē he said.
Of the 13, nine including Shahi, have been granted bail. Those who hadnít been granted bail so far included Rajesh Fogla, Pradeep Kumar and Pradyut Mukherjee and Prasad.