Two cousins died from electrocution at their family-run factory near New Market on Monday.
Amit Routh, 25, was the first to be electrocuted as soon as he switched on a blower machine at the chanachur factory. The plug and the switchboard were both found to be wet during a CESC inspection.
Cousin Janmejay, 30, rushed to his aid but in the hurry he possibly turned off a wrong switch and got electrocuted as he tried to drag his cousin away from the blower.
The duo were taken to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, where doctors declared them dead.
The Rouths live in Uma Das Lane near Janbazar, about 400 metres from the factory owned by Amit’s father, Ananda Chandra Routh.
Amit, a student of chartered accountancy, would often help out in the factory as he was when the accident occurred on Monday.
Shila Devi, who lives in a hutment near the manufacturing unit, was the first to reach the spot after the accident. “I heard a sound and looked inside the unit to find Amit lying on the ground. I shouted and raised the alarm,” she said.
Hearing Shila’s cry, Janmejay, who ran towards the factory. “He came in and saw Amit lying on the floor,” Shila said.
Realising that Amit had been electrocuted, Janmejay ran to cut off electricity supply to the machine but it is suspected that he may have put off the wrong switch.
“As Janmejay tried to drag Amit from the floor, he too got electrocuted and slumped to the floor,” Shila said.
More neighbours had arrived by then and they switched off the mains before taking the two to hospital.
“It was raining but there was no waterlogging or snapped wire. The accident happened inside the factory,” a neighbour said.
A senior engineer of CESC said the plug of the blower that Amit was operating was wet. “Both the plug top and the base were wet. It seems he got electrocuted from that,” the engineer said.