Srinagar, Aug. 16: Pakistani troops have allegedly broken a 14-year-old calm in Kargil by violating a ceasefire in the Drass sector.
The Indian Army has, however, not confirmed the developments so far.
Police chief of Kargil Sujit Kumar said Pakistani troops reportedly fired on three posts in the Drass sector on Monday night.
“There was medium-level exchange of fire in the Drass sector during the intervening night of August 11 and 12. But there isn’t any report of any violation either today or yesterday,” Kumar said. He said there was no report of any casualty.
The army did not confirm the incident. “No confirmation so far,” defence spokesperson in Srinagar Naresh Vij said.
The defence spokesperson at the army’s Northern Command in Udhampur could not be contacted.
If the reports are true it would be the first time since the 1999 Kargil war that Pakistani forces have violated the ceasefire in this sector.
The Kargil war saw the two sides engage in clashes that left hundreds of soldiers dead on both sides.
Pakistani army has allegedly violated the ceasefire 18 times in Jammu and Kashmir in the past week. The situation took a turn for worse after five Indian soldiers were killed by Pakistani troops in an alleged cross-border raid at Chakan da Bagh in the Poonch sector on August 6.
Three soldiers and two civilians were injured in two ceasefire violations in Balakote and Mankote sector of Poonch yesterday.
An army officer said Pakistani troops fired automatic weapons, rockets and mortar shells, in which three troopers sustained minor injuries. The Pakistani troops also fired 82-mm mortar shells in the Sanjote forward area of Mendhar tehsil.