The Centre has sanctioned Rs 313 crore for Bengal to partially clear the dues of nearly 12,000 college and university teachers who had been denied enhanced salaries from January 2006 to March 2009 because of a dispute between the Centre and the state.
Nearly half the dues that had accrued over the 39 months from January 2006 are likely to be cleared.
“After the Centre releases Rs 313 crore, around 50 per cent of its share, the state will sanction a part of its share and clear nearly half the dues before Puja,” a higher education department official said.
The sanctioning of the funds brought relief to the authorities of some universities like Jadavpur and Calcutta where the mostly pro-Left teachers’ bodies were planning to launch largescale movements, demanding the arrears.
“The plan for an agitation has been put on hold as we will be getting at least a part of our dues,” said a member of the Jadavpur University Teachers’ Association (Juta).
A teacher’s dues varies between Rs 2 lakh and Rs 9 lakh, depending on his/her seniority.
The high court had on August 3 ordered the Centre to disburse its full share — 80 per cent of the arrears — in two months. The state was given another four weeks to cough up the remaining 20 per cent.
Citing the court order, Juta president Keshav Bhattacharya said: “We should get the entire arrears at a time.”
The UGC decision to hike the salaries of college and university teachers from January 2006 was followed by an agreement between the state and the Centre to share the additional burden. The Centre had withheld its share on the grounds that the state was not implementing the higher scale.