Ahmedabad, Aug. 13: Senior police officer P.P. Pandey, an accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, surrendered before a CBI court this morning, a day after the Supreme Court rejected his plea for anticipatory bail.
The special court, which had issued a non-bailable warrant against Pandey after declaring him a proclaimed absconder, sent the officer to judicial custody and said it would hear the CBI’s application for his remand tomorrow.
The 1982-batch IPS officer, an additional director-general of Gujarat police, had disappeared earlier too after he was named an accused in the fake encounter case but had surfaced in court on a stretcher a few days ago.
Last week, the trial court had rejected his plea for exemption from personal appearance and issued a non-bailable warrant after he failed to appear before it.
The officer had approached the apex court, which yesterday rejected his plea for anticipatory bail.
Pandey, who first disappeared in April after the CBI made him an accused in the fake encounter case, was a joint commissioner heading the Ahmedabad crime branch when the Mumbai college girl and three others — Javed Shaikh, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar — were killed on the outskirts of the Gujarat capital on June 15, 2004.
The police had then claimed the four were terrorists on a mission to kill Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi.
According to the chargesheet, seven cops, including Pandey, had shot the group “in cold blood” and destroyed evidence. The accused policemen say the Intelligence Bureau tipped them off.
Pandey’s lawyer said whatever the CBI was accusing him of was “carried out by him as part of his official duty”.