Bhubaneswar, Aug. 8: The state government today announced that two health schemes — the National Urban Health Mission and the Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram — would be launched shortly.
Chief minister Naveen Patnaik made the announcement ahead of the civic elections.
Though the chief minister said these two schemes would be launched in the state “very soon”, he did not specify the dates.
Earlier, the state government had decided that the National Urban Health Mission would be implemented from September. The central government-sponsored National Urban Health Mission will be introduced as a sub-mission under the National Health Mission. The project will be implemented in 35 cities, towns and urban areas of the state that have a population of more than 50,000, said state health secretary P.K. Mohapatra.
“But, all the district headquarters towns will be covered even if they have less than 50,000 population,” he said. While the central government will provide 75 per cent funds for the project, the state government will bear the remaining 25 per cent cost.
The National Urban Health Mission aims at improving the health of the urban populace in general, and the poor and other disadvantaged sections in particular.
As part of the scheme, the government proposes to set up an urban primary health centre for a population of 50,000-60,000. In big cities, to every five to six primary health centres, there will be one urban community health care centre. There will be a provision of an auxiliary nursing midwife for a population of 10,000 and an accredited social health activist for 200 to 500 households. The urban public health centres will run from noon to 8pm.
Similarly, regular health screening of children will be conducted at public health facilities, anganwadi centres and government and government-aided schools under the Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram.
An estimated 1.21 crore children of the state will be covered under the scheme, which will also help detect various birth defects, diseases, deficiencies and development disorders.
The chief minister today also ordered to fill up vacant medical posts. As many as 436 posts of assistant surgeon, 200 posts of dental surgeon and 4,735 posts paramedics are lying vacant in the state.