New Delhi, Aug 8 (PTI): The Government for the first time directly accused the Pakistan army of involvement in an ambush in which five Indian soldiers died, and said on Thursday the incident will have consequences on India's behaviour on the Line of Control and ties with Pakistan.
Defence Minister A K Antony asserted in Parliament that India's restraint should not be taken for granted nor should the capacity of its armed forces and government's resolve to uphold the sanctity of the LoC be doubted.
Antony, who had come under intense fire from Bharatiya Janata Party for initially stating on Tuesday that “persons dressed in Pakistan Army uniform” had ambushed the Indian troops, made a fresh statement in both Houses. He said his earlier contention was based on information available at that time.
Since then, the Chief of Army Staff has visited the area and gone into the details of the matter, he said.
“It is now clear that specialist troops of the Pakistan Army were involved in the attack when a group from Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) side crossed the LoC and killed our brave jawans,” he said in the statement aimed at controlling damage done by the earlier version.
“We all know that nothing happens from Pakistan side of LoC without support, assistance, facilitation and often, direct involvement of Pakistan Army,” Antony said.
In the Lok Sabha, Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj said her party was happy that the Defence Minister has “accepted his mistake” and rectified it.
BJP had been targeting Antony alleging that he had given clean chit to Pakistan Army and should apologise. The main Opposition party paralysed Parliament for the last two days.