Guwahati, Aug. 5: Dispur today informed Gauhati High Court that the investigation into Jhankar Saikia’s death has been handed over to the criminal investigation department.
Additional advocate general K.N. Choudhury informed the court of the decision today during the hearing of two public interest litigations (PILs) filed in connection with death of the student on July 1.
Choudhury also told the court that the government would apprise it about the steps taken against the police officials who are accused in the case in the next hearing on September 3.
Auto drivers beat up Jhankar Saikia, a BA first-year student of Diphu College and his father Haren Saikia, a lawyer, in Diphu on June 25 after they reportedly refused to pay Rs 30 instead of the “legitimate” fare of Rs 20.
As the auto drivers started beating up the duo in front of Diphu post-office, some people called up the police but the police team allegedly pushed the boy towards the mob and he was critically injured in the scuffle.
The boy, who was shifted to a private hospital here, died on July 1. Based on media reports, the high court had registered a suo moto PIL on July 24 and asked the state government what steps had been taken to provide justice to the student’s family.
A Guwahati-based lawyer, Bhaskar Dev Konwar, had lodged another PIL seeking a CBI or CID probe into the incident. He urged the court to fast-track the case and transfer it to a neighbouring district to facilitate the witnesses to appear before the court without any fear or influence.
Konwar told The Telegraph today that after the additional advocate general informed the court about handing over the case to CID, the court of Chief Justice A.K. Goel and Justice A.K. Goswami fixed September 3 as the date of next hearing of the two PILs.
“At the next hearing, the government is likely to submit a status report of investigation in the court,” Konwar said.
The five accused in the incident also submitted their applications seeking bail and the court fixed the hearing for Wednesday.