|Sudip Roy Barman and Ratanlal Nath
Agartala, March 14: The factional feud in Tripura Congress has turned worse in the wake of the defeat suffered by the party in the Assembly election, with some leaders accusing PCC chief Sudip Roy Barman and leader of the Opposition Ratanlal Nath of selling nominations to undesirable candidates.
They have also alleged the two leaders of withholding funds provided by the high command for the candidates in the fray.
Former minister Jawhar Saha, who was denied nomination from his home constituency in Amarpur, today said, “Barman and Nath sold nominations to the highest bidders and they stashed away funds provided by the high command for Congress candidates in the fray. The nomination of undesirable candidates was a chief reason for our defeat.”
He questioned the principle on which nominations were given and said there was no uniform policy or principle.
“Initially, Barman and Nath said candidates who had lost twice would not be nominated and I was dropped. But several candidates, including Billal Mia and Abdul Motin Chowdhury who had lost three-four times were nominated simply because they paid money,” said Saha.
He pointed out the omission of veteran leader and former minister Ratan Chakraborty from Khayerpur Assembly constituency near Agartala, even after his name had been finalised by the central election committee.
“Chakraborty had also worked in his constituency like me and many Congress workers and supporters left the party before the election to protest the nomination of a greenhorn, Baptu Chakraborty, who lost miserably,” said Saha.
He said he would inform the high command about the issue.
“Barman and Nath have also not cared to inquire about the attacks on Congress workers and supporters in Amarpur by CPM cadres after the results were declared,” said Saha.
PCC general secretary Subal Bhowmik who lost the Assembly poll from Sonamura constituency in Sipahijala district, said he would also go on record with charges against the PCC president and the leader of the Opposition.
“I have already had intensive discussions with my workers and supporters and I will share my views and experience with the media very soon. Enough is enough and you will know everything,” he said.
Barman, in his reply to the accusations, claimed they had expelled him from the party for six years but Saha said he was yet to receive the letter of expulsion.
“I am a member of AICC. How can he expel me? He can at the most complain to the high command,” said Saha.
Barman said he had filed a detailed report to the high command in New Delhi about the sabotage of the party’s prospects by a section of leaders, seeking action against them.
“I have brought everything to the notice of the leadership. Let the high command take its decisions,” he said.
Nath, however, described the charges brought against him as “totally baseless”.
“I will not comment on the baseless charges made by Saha but I am of the view he should have discussed all issues within the party forum,” he said.