New Delhi, March 13: The defence ministry has referred a record number of 90 cases to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in three years.
Defence minister A.K. Antony, in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha, today said 42 of these cases were being investigated, 41 cases are pending trial and five cases have been closed by the CBI after recommending administrative action. The reply did not detail the cases.
The VVIP chopper deal case was referred to the CBI in February and is not among the 90 cases.
In one case, a court has asked for further investigation and in another instance the case had been handed over to the army for action under the army act.
The ministry referred 22 cases each in 2010 and 2011 to the CBI. Last year, the ministry sent 36 cases to the agency and in January this year alone it referred 10 cases.
A probe into the deal to procure Tatra trucks through defence public sector BEML, which was made into an issue by former army chief General (retired) V.K. Singh, is among the pending cases.
In response to another question, Antony said complaints alleging irregularities/corruption in defence deals are received from “various sources from time to time”.