The shopping complex under construction at Jharia Vihar Colony on Monday. (Gautam Dey)
Life is set to become a lot easier for over 1,100 fire-affected families that have been shifted to Jharia Vihar Colony in Belgarhia under the Jharia master plan.
A shopping complex, which will also house a bank and a post office, a children’s park and a high school promise to bring all amenities within easy reach of the displaced.
While construction of a two-storey shopping complex, which is being built at a cost of Rs 73.30 lakh, is almost over, a Rs 12.21-lakh boundary wall around the children’s park spread over 62500sqft has also been completed.
A technical bid for installation of park amenities like see-saws, slides and swings has been opened. Moreover, an advertisement for construction of a high school at a cost of Rs 3.70 crore has been uploaded on the website of Jharia Rehabilitation and Development Authority (JRDA).
According to chief manager (civil) of JRDA Sunil Dalela, 90 per cent of work on the shopping complex was over. “The remaining 10 per cent, which mainly involved plaster and painting work, will be finished soon. Messers B Roy Enterprises was awarded the contract to build the two-storey market complex on September 2011. The project is likely to be completed in a month,” said Dalela.
The building will comprise 24 shops, excluding a bank and post office. The ground floor will house 16 shops of 13.89sqm each while there will be eight similar shops on the first floor.
“The shops will be allotted to residents of Belgarhia. The modalities are yet to be finalised, but allotments may be made on the basis of lottery,” said rehabilitation and resettlement in-charge of JRDA Gopal Ji.
The existing branch of Bank of India, which is running from two quarters of Belgarhia, will be shifted to the shopping complex.
“At present, the rehabilitated families have to visit Palany village situated outside the colony to post letters. But that will be a thing of the past as we will write to the postal department to start a post office at Belgarhia itself,” said Gopal Ji.
On the children’s park, Dalela said the technical bid for installation of amenities as a part of a separate tender of Rs 6.43 lakh had already been opened. Five companies, including three firms from Meerut — Messers Khalsa Exports Pvt Ltd, Messers Khalsa Gymnastic Works and Gymnco Sports Industries — besides two Dhanbad-based companies — Top Mech Engineering and Messers Upendra Kumar Yadav — had submitted applications.
The two-storey high school for students of Classes VI to X, for which a tender notice was uploaded on JRDA website, www.jrda.in, in February, will have 12 classrooms, laboratories for physics, chemistry and biology, a storeroom, canteen, teachers’ room, toilets and an open verandah. The tender will be opened on April 5 and work is to be completed within 15 months of awarding the contract.