Calcutta/ Barcelona: Formula One team Force India has announced that Germany’s Adrian Sutil will be their second race driver this season.
Sutil rejoins pilot Paul Di Resta after both drove for Force India in 2011.
The 30-year-old Sutil competed with Jules Bianchi through the first two preseason tests for the right to take the place of Nico Hulkenberg, after his move to Sauber.
Sutil will continue preseason testing for Force India on Friday and Saturday at the Catalunya Circuit near Barcelona.
He says, “I’m delighted to be back in Formula One, especially with a team I know so well.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Force India ruled Bianchi out of the reckoning for the last remaining race seat, leaving the way open for Sutil to make a comeback.
“Jules will not be Paul Di Resta’s teammate. I was told today,” Bianchi’s manager Nicolas Todt said.
Sutil was Bianchi’s rival for the seat with the pair both given track time at the previous test at the Circuit de Catalunya last week.
Meanwhile, Red Bull driver Mark Webber set the pace in cold and wet conditions on the first day of the final Formula One preseason testing session, just ahead of Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes.
After Ferrari's Felipe Massa stopped on the track with less than half an hour to go, Webber out-duelled Hamilton as they clocked flying laps just before the session ended.
Jean-Enric Vergne of Toro Rosso recorded the third fastest lap, in front of rookies Valtteri Bottas of Williams and Esteban Gutierrez of Sauber.
Hamilton was the busiest driver and completed 113 laps, one more than Massa. Sergio Perez, who took Hamilton's spot at McLaren this offseason, was the only other to reach the 100-lap mark.