Early tomorrow morning, IST, the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood hosts the Academy Awards. I'd be surprised if Daniel Day Lewis doesn't win an Oscar for Lincoln. But no predictions, because I'm still reeling from the way the Academy snubbed Ben Affleck and Argo. Some of my colleagues at office are diehard supporters of Life of Pi but I'm not on the same page as them. I'm particularly looking forward to the new host for the event, Seth McFarlane, the brilliant creator of the multiple-award winning sitcom Family Guy. Here are a few Oscar nuggets: Amour is the first film in 12 years to have been nominated for both Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film; Quvenzhan Wallis (9 years) and Emmanuelle Riva (85 years) are the youngest and oldest nominated actresses respectively in the Best Actress category. Lights, camera, action!
Identify this author
1.Which sportsperson was announced the Associated Press Athlete of the Year, in 2012?
Soumi Popli, Calcutta
2. Who is the author of the work Dancing in Cambodia?
Riddhibrata Sen, Calcutta
3. What kind of an animal is a mountain chicken?
Mrinal Bagchi, Ranchi
4. In which city was the 2012 Grammy Awards held?
Prabir Ghosh, Asansol
5. Which sweet was first mentioned in a cookbook by Muhammad bin Hasan Al-Baghdadi?
Smita Chakraborty, Guwahati
6. In which part of the human body would one come across the Bowman's membrane and the Descemet's membrane?
Muzaffar Haque, Calcutta
7. What is the colour of the passport given to Indian diplomats, administrative officials, and official public couriers?
Sean White, Calcutta
8. Which film received a special Oscar comprising one regular-sized award and seven smaller-sized awards?
Jasmeet Kaur, Calcuta
9. Which famous Indian musician scored the music for the Broadway staging of RK Narayan's novel Guide?
Preetha Dey, Calcutta
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this sportsman
2. Identify this director
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
Silver Linings Playbook is the first film in 31 years to receive nominations in all four acting categories; and for the first time in the history of the Awards, all the Best Supporting Actor nominees are previous winners in the same category.
ANSWER & WIN
Who is the first midfielder to score one hundred and fifty Premier League goals??
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: email@example.com
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 10.02.13
Preetha Dey, Calcutta
Who bestowed the zamindari rights of Calcutta and the adjoining lands from Barisha to Halisahar upon the Savarna Ray Chowdhuri family of Barisha?
The answer is: Emperor Jahangir
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
1. Michael Phelps
2. Amitava Ghosh
8. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
9. Ravi Shankar
WHO AM I ?
Kamala Surayya (Kamala Das)
POINT OF VIEW 1
POINT OF VIEW 2