| A woman and her child stand in front of their house that was gutted during the violence in Goalpara. File picture |
Guwahati, Feb. 18: The Board of Secondary Education, Assam, (Seba) today stated that most examinees appeared for the matric examination on the first day today in the violence-hit Rabha Hasong areas in Goalpara district.
Seba secretary Dayaram Rajbongshi told The Telegraph that though the board had made all possible arrangements for the examinees to sit for the exams without any hassle in the Rabha-Hasong council area, there were doubts about them actually turning up at the examinations centres.
“According to reports received so far from the Goalpara district administration and the inspector of schools, most of the examinees sat for the exam. The district administration had arranged special buses to ferry the examinees from relief camps to examination centres,” Rajbongshi said.
Sources, however, said the board would be in a position to figure out the number of absentees only after receiving a full report from the Goalpara inspector of schools.
The recent violence in the Rabha Hasong areas had made many students doubtful starters for the matric and higher secondary final examinations that commenced today. Textbooks and admit cards of many examinees were set ablaze in the violence that broke out on the third and final day of panchayat polls on February 12.
Rajbongshi said the Rastriya Madhyamik Shiksha Mission had already made arrangements to distribute important textbooks among the students in the riot-hit areas.
Assam Higher Secondary Education Council chairman Mohsin Ali said there were no reports of examinees of Rabha Hasong areas missing the higher secondary examinations.
On the other hand, examinations were held peacefully in the three centres — Mancachar, Kukurmara and Hatsinghimari — under Kharuabandha police outpost in Dhubri district where curfew was clamped on Friday but lifted yesterday in view of the examinations.
Altogether 19,704 students appeared for the first day of matric across the district, while nearly 3,500 candidates appeared for the higher secondary exam in 25 centres.
Dhubri inspector of schools Abdul Kayum Al-Amin told The Telegraph that despite fears, no untoward incident was reported from any part of the district.