Choked on gum
Gangtok, Jan. 27: A participant in a 14km run died in East Sikkim yesterday when the gum he was chewing got stuck in his windpipe.
Pemba Sherpa, 18, fell unconscious on reaching the finishing line. He was taken to a hospital but was declared dead on arrival.
Tamluk: A consumer court in East Midnapore has fined a Tamluk surgeon Rs 3 lakh on charges of negligence that led to a patient’s death in 2009. The amount has to be paid within 45 days from January 15. The doctor has denied being at fault.
Barasat: Six policemen in Jagaddal were injured during a clash with villagers who blocked their way when a local youth arrested on charges of extortion was being taken to police station.
Bolpur: A first-year student of Japanese at Visva-Bharati allegedly committed suicide on Sunday. Sudhir Kumar’s body was found on the road outside the campus.
Calcutta: Mohammed Sohrab, the only RJD legislator from the state in the previous Assembly, has claimed that party chief Lalu Prasad has asked him to contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Bolpur: Two bodies — one with its throat slit and another with stab injuries — were found on a railway ground in Bolpur early on Sunday.