TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

VIP Colony fire kills lady

Imphal, Jan 18: A young woman was charred to death this afternoon after a fire broke out at a government quarters at VIP Colony in Sanjenthong here.

Police said the fire was caused by an electric short circuit in one of the three rooms of the building’s extension that was constructed by the occupants.

The woman — identified as 30-year-old Lamneikim — suffered burns to most of her body. Three fire tenders fought the fire for more than an hour before bringing it under control.

The VIP Colony houses the official quarters of a minister and IAS and IPS officers, including the quarters of chief secretary D.S. Poonia.

The quarters where the fire began belongs to retired IAS officer L. Thangthuawn. The victim was Thangthuawn’s sister-in-law.

The victim was alone when the fire broke out and all the relatives were out. It is believed the victim was using an electric heater when the fire broke out.

The fire department was informed and three fire tenders rushed to the spot. While the government quarters was saved, the three rooms in the extension were completely gutted.

Property was also damaged but the exact value of the loss is yet to be ascertained.

 More stories in Northeast

  • Bud, Navajyoti to clash in final
  • Imphal club beats ARC, retains title
  • Lajong to try out Japanese striker
  • Charaideo triumph
  • Trinamul opts out of Tripura poll
  • Council poll in April, Rabhas' protest on
  • Villagers kill, cut up leopard
  • Files gutted in Kohima fire
  • Liquor and lucre under scanner
  • Candidate choice sparks unrest
  • BJP seeks date change
  • Wary eye on code violation
  • KMSS protest in Majuli
  • Panel welcomes PM's assurance
  • Drape of tradition to woo the world
  • VIP Colony fire kills lady
  • Bribe slur on govt employees