TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
Calcutta Weather
WeatherTemperature
Min : 12.00°C (-2)
Max : 26.10°C (+0)
Rainfall : 0.00 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 42.00% Min : 93.00%
Sunrise : 6:19 AM
Sunset : 5:14 PM
Today
Morning mist. Later mainly clear sky. Minimum temperature likely to be around 14°C.
 
CIMA Gallary

Cigarette stub smoke kills man

A man died in his sleep after inhaling carbon monoxide produced by a cigarette he probably forgot to stub out.

Debu Rajak, 30, was found dead in an office on the ground floor of a four-storey building on Mahim Haldar Street in Kalighat on Monday. An electrical mechanic, he slept in the office at night.

Both windows in the room were shut and the door was locked. The bedding and some of Rajak’s toes were burnt.

“Preliminary investigation suggests carbon monoxide poisoning. We will know for sure after the post-mortem,” said Pallab Kanti Ghosh, joint commissioner (crime). A cigarette packet was found near the body in the smoke-filled room, police said.

Neighbours claimed Rajak was drunk when he entered the office on Sunday night.

Rajak’s uncle Bablu Chowdhury, who runs a laundry in the building, decided to check on Rajak when he missed prayer on Monday morning and his phone went unanswered.