The charred body of a man in his late 30s was found in his rented flat at Puddapukur, off CIT Road, early on Monday.
A refrigerator and other items in the first-floor flat, too, were charred.
Mohammad Naushad used to work for a contractor. “For the last few days, his wife and child were staying at his in-laws’ because of a religious ceremony,” said Mohammad Samar, a neighbour.
“There were no signs of suicide. It seems a short-circuit had triggered the blaze,” said a police officer.
A tea stall vendor noticed smoke around 5.30am and alerted others.
Four tenders brought the fire under control.