TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary

Toxic food claims two lives in Puri

Bhubaneswar, Dec. 16: Two members of a family died of food poisoning at Chaitana village within the limits of Puri Sadar police today.

All the four members of Purnachandra Pradhan’s family complained of health complications last night. They had to be admitted to the Puri District Headquarters Hospital in critical condition.

Purnachandra, 50, and his 20-year-old son Brahmananda Pradhan died in the hospital. His brother and brother-in-law were later shifted to the SCB Medical College and Hospital. Hospital sources said that the deaths might have caused by consumption of adulterated food.

The victims’ neighbours said that they were taken ill and started vomiting last night after taking homemade food. A neighbour of Pradhan’s family said they had roti and peas curry in their dinner last night. Doctors, however, apprehend that some intoxicant substances might have been mixed with the food during the process of preparation.