A five-year-old boy died on Tuesday night, hours after gulping down vinegar, which he had mistaken for water.
Debanjan Biswas was playing in front of his home at Maniktala when he felt thirsty and ran to his grandfather’s home nearby. The boy took out a glass bottle from the fridge and gulped down the colourless liquid. Within minutes, he complained of stomach ache and was taken to BC Roy hospital, where he died late on Tuesday.
“The post-mortem will determine the cause of death, but it appears to have died of acid poisoning. His gastrointestinal system was damaged,” said the hospital superintendent.