Ranchi, Dec. 11: Police made no fresh breakthrough on the sender of the December 8 email to DGP G.S. Rath, warning of serial bomb blasts in Ranchi, Mumbai and Delhi to “avenge killing of terrorists”, but confirmed that server details pointed out that it was sent from Maharashtra.
Police sources said though the name Danish Alam, a local youth with purported links with SIMI and Indian Mujahideen, had surfaced, nothing was conclusively proven.
“The email was sent from a Yahoo account. So far, no information has come from Singapore, where Yahoo’s server is located. It won’t be possible for me to say anything on the matter now, but yes, the concern is serious. The police department has taken serious note of this,” DGP Rath said.
Earlier in the day, at a police duty meet, Rath appealed to Jharkhand citizens to stay alert. “In case you notice anything suspicious, please immediately inform your area’s law enforcing agency to help us fight terrorism,” he said.
Police spokesperson and IG (operations) S.N. Pradhan could not be available for his comments, but inside sources at police headquarters said he had gone to Mumbai to discuss the email threat with Cyber Research Centre and Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS).
Sources said ATS had decided to probe the matter as the threatening email also sent to Mumbai and Delhi police.
As soon as the email was received, a statewide high alert was sounded with special stress on beefing up security in the capital’s high-density zones.
The email also triggered panic among residents. “I don’t see Ranchi as a soft target. Someone must have done mischief. However, nothing can be said definitely till the sender of the mail is arrested. With the date nearing for the ODI in Ranchi, the matter must not be taken lightly,” said civil court lawyer Panchdeo Singh.