TT Epaper
The Telegraph
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary

Raju ‘relook’ at Sibal IIT plan

New Delhi, Nov. 20: Human resource development minister M.M. Pallam Raju has hinted at revisiting predecessor Kapil Sibal’s controversial IIT-JEE reforms, according to a Pan IIT Alumni Association team that met him last week.

“The minister said he was open to the idea of revisiting the JEE. Next week, we may meet him again,” said Somnath Bharti of the IIT Delhi Alumni Association who was part of the delegation.

Raju had recently told The Telegraph he would not make any changes to the JEE in 2013.

“The present JEE format has been evolved through a lot of discussion and consultation. It would not be fair on my part to reject that wisdom and make any immediate changes,” he had said.

The alumni’s team had told Raju the two-tier JEE planned from next year would undermine the IITs’ autonomy. It said Raju had accepted its invite to the December 7-9 Pan IIT Conference in Calcutta.

Under current plans, the IITs will conduct two entrance tests: the JEE Main followed by the JEE Advanced. They will screen candidates through the JEE Main but draw up the merit list solely on the basis of their JEE Advanced performance.

Other centrally funded engineering colleges such as the NITs will select students only through the JEE Main while giving weightage to the candidates’ Class XII board marks.

A few states such as Maharashtra, Gujarat and Haryana have agreed to admit students to their engineering colleges through the JEE Main.