The stage has been set for start of the second phase of Jharia rehabilitation project with the foundation stone laying ceremony for construction of 2,000 flats in Belgarhia being fixed on November 28.
The authorities zeroed in on the date after three levels of talks with Belgarhia villagers, who had parted with their land, during which the ongoing dispute over compensation was resolved.
Rehabilitation and resettlement in-charge of Jharia Rehabilitation Development Authority (JRDA) Gopalji said: “All disputes related to compensation claims made by owners of a plot No. 55 have been resolved during talks with BCCL, which acquire the land in 1986. Construction will begin after the foundation is laid on the plot, which is of 7.84 acres, on November 28.”
Out of the total seven families who owned the controversial plot, JRDA and BCCL managed to trace six. A member of each family has been provided job by BCCL while search is on for the seventh.
“Arrangements have been made to ensure the presence of job-holders of all six families at the foundation laying function so that no further controversy arises,” said a source.
The new flats that will be constructed by Hyderabad-based Indu Projects at a cost of Rs 63.89 crore to relocate the residents from the fire-ravaged areas of Jharia will be bigger in size — 25sqm each with double bedrooms. The existing 2,352 quarters of 18sqm each have single bedroom. The apartments will be built on around 49 acres on the G+3 floor model. Each floor will have four flats.
The first phase of the rehabilitation process kicked off on March 25, 2010, with around 1,100 families of underground fire and subsidence-affected areas, including Bokapahari, Ghanudih, North Tisra, Lodna and Luj pit, shifted to 2,352 quarters of Belgarhia in keeping with the Rs 7,028-crore Jharia master plan so far. Each family has been given two quarters each — one for free and the other at a rent of Rs 100 per month.
“Efforts are on to rope in Dhanbad deputy commissioner, who is also the ex-officio managing director of JRDA, as the chief guest for the November 28 function. But nothing has been finalised,” said superintending engineer of JRDA Sunil Dalema.
There are altogether 62 owners of the 49 acres on which 2,000 flats are to be constructed. Of them, 50 have been already provided jobs by BCCL when it acquired the land for a coal dump of its Mukunda open cast project. The remaining 12 couldn’t be provided jobs because of reasons like the claimants were medically unfit or underage for jobs at the time of acquisition.