TT Epaper
The Telegraph
Graphiti
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary

Jogdol murder probe inconclusive

Nov. 19: The criminal investigation department (CID) of police is yet to file a chargesheet in the case involving the multiple murders at Jogdol though nearly three years have passed since it began investigating the sensational crime.

Six members of a family — Harakanta Doley, 45, his wife and four children — were brutally murdered at Jogdol village under Sonapur police station on the city outskirts on December 12, 2009.

As the incident sent shockwaves across the state, the government handed over the investigation to the CID and subsequently, six persons, including the prime accused, Arjun Bordoloi, were arrested. But delay in filing the chargesheet has raised questions about the investigating agency’s role.

A police officer associated with the investigation today told The Telegraph that the chargesheet had not been filed because the investigation into the case was still on.

The CID had earlier said the investigation process was delayed because of the death of the prime accused on September 9 this year but sources today said the probe into Bordoloi’s death showed that he had died because of excessive alcohol consumption.

The CID has also been facing criticism from the villagers, with many alleging that the probe was being delayed owing to political pressure, as some high-profile people were allegedly involved in the gruesome killing.

Dulal Bora, a city-based contractor who had alleged the involvement of social welfare minister Akon Bora in the crime, alleged that the CID was delaying the investigation owing to pressure from the government, which was allegedly trying to save Bora.

Akon Bora, however, had dismissed the allegation as baseless.

“On November 15, I had met home department officials who told me that the prime accused had died after drinking excess alcohol. But they could not tell me exactly why the CID was not filing the chargesheet in the case. I have serious doubts that the CID is under political pressure. I will continue to fight for the villagers and I am preparing to move the high court with a plea to hand over the case to CBI as the CID is taking too long,” Dulal Bora, who has been spearheading a campaign seeking justice for the villagers, said today.

Bora said though the CID had taken over the probe on December 17, 2009, the investigation had been put on hold and it was only because of his fresh campaign in January 2012 that the probe was speeded up and the CID registered cases against Pranab Kumar Deka, a former officer-in-charge of Sonapur police station, sub-inspector Abdul Matlib Choudhury and Forensic Science Laboratory deputy director Pushpa Kumar Barua following allegations of evidence destruction. The trio, however, got bail later.