The steel city did not witness any major fire mishap this Diwali, but at least 70 people landed up in hospital with minor burns while bursting crackers.
Sources said 47 of the total injured were children, with Tata Main Hospital (TMH) treating the maximum number of cases, estimated to be around 50.
Of the total number of cases treated at TMH, officials said 18 were children, most of who were rushed to the health hub between 7pm and midnight.
The officials further said most of the patients had suffered burns on their face, eyes or hands with some even complaining of temporary deafness.
“Most of those who turned up at the hospital’s emergency ward had suffered minor burns. Most of them were referred to the OPD or released after first aid only. None of them had to be admitted for further treatment,” a hospital source said.
He also observed that most of the patients had sustained burns on their right hand suggesting that they might have been injured while trying to light fireworks.
MGM Medical College and Hospital also witnessed a number of patients queuing up for medical aid after sustaining burns. However, like in TMH, none of them serious.
“We attended to as many as 14 patients in our emergency ward. Most of them were released after first aid. Some, however, were asked to follow up at the hospital’s OPD later,” said S.S. Prasad, hospital superintendent.
Sonari resident Tushar Ranjan Singh (17), who was treated at TMH, told The Telegraph: “I was injured when I went to check an unexploded cracker, which went off with a bang suddenly. The explosion blurred my vision and hampered my hearing. Later, I also found that my right hand had been partially burnt”.
P.K. Sharma, the father of six-year-old Sheetal Kumari, who sustained burns on her legs and face, said his daughter was injured when a high-intensity cracker went off near their Sakchi residence.
“My daughter wanted to cross the road to go to a neighbour’s house when some teens were bursting crackers. They tried to warn her, but she could not step out of harm’s way,” he said.
Meanwhile, a 20-year-old youth was seriously injured after being roughed up and stabbed by a group of gamblers in Mango’s Daiguttu on Tuesday. Ramesh Kumar Sharma was admitted to MGM Medical College and Hospital where his condition was serious.
“A gang of gamblers asked Ramesh to give them the address of a particular den in Daiguttu, of which he had no clue of. When he expressed ignorance, they roughed him up and stabbed him in the stomach,” a relative of the victim told The Telegraph.