Diwali turned dark for a Hazaribagh shopkeeper as he lost goods worth Rs 6 lakh in a fire that broke out at his medicine store on Tuesday night.
Bablu Kumar, owner of Khusboo Pharma located on GK Mishra Road in Hazaribagh town, shut his shop early at 7pm and went to his home at Demotand, some 6km away, to celebrate Diwali. Around 9pm, he got the news that a blaze had engulfed his shop.
“I rushed to my shop and as soon as I opened the shutter, the computer exploded. With the help of local people, I managed to douse the flames and then threw the gutted computer and printer out. Loads of medicines and a number of documents were also charred, dealing me losses of about Rs 6 lakh,” Bablu said.
“A short circuit caused the fire,” said officer in charge of Sadar police station Dinesh Kumar Singh.
According to Bablu, he opened the shop after working at a medicine shop for several years. “In wholesale business, retailers pay for the medicines on a daily basis for which we need to maintain the original bills. Now with all documents gutted, I have no records of such transactions. I had also taken a huge loan. Now, with the fire claiming everything, I don’t know how to repay it,” he said.
Many claimed that the blaze would have fanned out to more stores and turned into an inferno had not the other shopkeepers spotted it early.