TT Epaper
The Telegraph
TT Photogallery
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary

‘No plans to leave Atletico’

Radamel Falcao has insisted he has no plans to leave Atletico Madrid, despite strong interest from Chelsea and Real Madrid.

The Colombia striker is one of the hottest properties in world football, having scored 111 goals in 125 appearances since arriving in Europe from River Plate just over three years ago.

That return includes 13 goals in nine matches so far this term as Diego Simeone’s side have climbed to second in the La Liga table, behind Barcelona on goal difference.

Chelsea are long-term admirers of the 26-year-old and Jose Mourinho, the Real manager, is also keen, but Falcao says he is concentrating solely on maintaining his extraordinary run of form for Atletico.

“I am happy here and enjoying things at present,” he told a Spanish radio station. “I am not thinking about leaving, only in playing this season, and I hope everything goes well. I am calm. I don’t even know what I’m doing tomorrow.”

Falcao signed for Atletico for more than 34 million from Porto at the start of the 2011-12 campaign and has enhanced his reputation measurably since then, meaning any transfer fee is likely to be in excess of 50 million.

With such a figure potentially on offer, Falcao believes his future could be out of his hands should Atletico decide to cash in on their prize asset.

“The club has needs and it depends on certain results,” he said. “There are many factors. The economy of the club, entering the Champions League.

“Later, Atletico and the responsible people will decide what to do with my future. Many times the players are the last to know.”

Falcao’s outstanding form was recognised on Monday, when he was named on a 23-man shortlist for the annual Ballon d’Or award. “I am very grateful to be on the list,” he said.