Picture by Anindya Shankar Ray
1. What’s fashion for all seasons for Dia?
A sari! It is something that can never go out of fashion.
2. What have you picked up from Calcutta?
Oh my god! I have picked up tons of Benarasi and Dhakai… beautiful saris.
3. One thing you wouldn’t be caught dead in: Nothing! I don’t want to be caught wearing nothing! (Laughs)
4. For you, less is more when...
I think most of the time. I think there is something so magical about simplicity. I think it reflects your core.
5. And when does Dia like to really deck up?
My bridal outfit, I guess. That would be the big day.
6. Anything you would like to take from your mother’s wardrobe?
I have quietly taken away everything! (Laughs out loud) We have a barter system that has been going on for the last 11-12 years. Every time I want something from her cupboard, I quickly give her something that she may want from mine!
7. Heirlooms you love: I have two saris handed down from the last four generations that my mother has given me. Both are Benarasis… they are the most exquisite saris. I can never wear them ever. I would like to frame them up on a wall! Extremely beautiful.
8. A colour for all seasons: White.
9. The best-dressed woman in Bollywood: I think lots of people are very well-dressed. It is difficult to choose one person. All the younger lot… Sonam (Kapoor), Jacqueline (Fernandez), Bipasha (Basu), Priyanka (Chopra), Kareena (Kapoor)… everybody is so beautifully dressed... but I think Rekhaji, you know. The grace that lady emanates is beyond any person would ever be able to achieve!
10. The best-dressed man in Bollywood: Saif (Ali Khan). He is really sharp.