TT Epaper
The Telegraph
TT Photogallery
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
WEEKLY FEATURES
CITIES AND REGIONS
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
CIMA Gallary

When Pietersen said no

Kevin Pietersen

Kevin Pietersen turned down a four-month contract with England only hours before it was announced he would not be touring India as both sides failed to find common ground despite weeks of protracted negotiations.

Pietersen’s return to the England fold was dependent on agreeing a set of conditions which included waiving his rights to any future legal action in employment disputes with the England and Wales Cricket Board, issuing another public apology for sending text messages to the South African side and pulling out at the last minute from a contract to provide studio analysis from the World Twenty20 for Asian-based broadcaster ESPN.

On Monday, Pietersen wrote to the ECB turning down the four-month contract which came with no assurances for the future. He also believes he made enough compromises after apologising in person to Andrew Strauss and publicly on the eve of the Lord’s Test last month.

He also met with other members of the England management when it is understood he guaranteed his commitment to playing all forms of international cricket for England until the end of the next World Cup in 2015.

On a day when fresh details of the frenetic negotiations between Pietersen and the board emerged after weeks of silence, it was also learned the ECB contacted him on Tuesday to open negotiations about a new 12-month central contract. The ECB declined to comment on the matter.

The talks are expected to continue while Pietersen is in Sri Lanka where David Collier, the chief executive of the ECB, and Hugh Morris, the managing director of the England team, will also be based during the World Twenty20.

The England squad for India was chosen last week and the selectors were told by Andy Flower, the head coach, not to consider Pietersen. The squad announcement was delayed while Pietersen considered the offer of the four-month deal which set out that he would not be part of the Test tour to India but would attend England’s training camp in Dubai at the end of October which precedes the trip. He was told the Dubai camp would provide a chance to begin the healing process with his team-mates which clearly has some way to go. But Pietersen believes that process will happen much quicker during a Test-match tour rather than a training camp.

A strongly worded statement was issued on Pietersen’s behalf on Tuesday by his PR team after it was announced he would not be touring India.

The statement read: “Kevin Pietersen is naturally disappointed about today’s decision having gone to great lengths to reach a reconciliation with the ECB. Pietersen has met with — and apologised to — Andrew Strauss. The Daily Telegraph