Governor M.K. Narayanan has sought a report from the school education department on the School Service Commission exam fiasco on July 29.
The governor wrote to the principal secretary of the department, Arnab Ray, last week, asking for a report detailing the reasons behind the disruptions during the test that prompted the commission to organise a retest at five centres in four districts on September 2.
About 7,32,000 candidates who wrote the test, meant to fill 55,000 vacancies, faced problems like delayed arrival of question papers and confusion over packets of question and answer booklets not being sealed. Five student unions had met the governor last month and drawn his attention to the problems faced by the candidates, said a senior department official.
The students had questioned the commissionís logic behind holding the retest in only five centres, arguing that candidates at many other centres had been affected.
ďWe forwarded the letter to the commission on Monday, asking it to furnish details on the reasons behind the problems. The commission had probed the incident and prepared a report. Once it shares the findings with us, we will get back to the chancellorís office,Ē said the official.
The commission chairman, Chittaranjan Mandal, and principal secretary Ray were not available for comment. ďWe have received a letter from the department. We will inform it about our findings,Ē said a commission official.